How you can obtain your DD214, DD215, for free.

You can request your free DD214 from the National Archives and Records Administration. Remember to also request a updated DD215, with additional medals and awards, on the same form. Use Standard Form 180 from the National Archives and Records Administration. Click here for Standard Form 180.

With access to a printer and the Adobe Acrobat Reader, available below, you may download and print a copy of the Standard Form 180. The Standard Form 180 is formatted for legal size paper (8.5" x 14"). Please print that way if your printer can accommodate it. If not print on letter size paper (8.5" x 11") select "shrink to fit" when the Adobe Acrobat Reader "Print" dialog box appears.

Free Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader. Acrobat Button If you need the software click here to download.

Follow the instructions on Standard Form 180 carefully. Submit a separate Standard Form 180 for each individual whose records are being requested. You may submit more than one request per envelope.

Turnaround times for records requested from the National Personnel Records Center vary greatly depending on the nature of the request. For example, the NPRC Military Records Facility currently has a backlog of over 200,000 requests and receives approximately 5,000 requests daily. Routine requests for separation statements currently require 4-5 weeks for servicing. The average turnaround time on all requests is currently 14-16 weeks; however, requests that involve reconstruction efforts due to the 1973 fire may take much longer.

How to obtain military records by letter.

Send your request as a letter to the National Archives and Records Administration. Requests must contain enough information to identify the record among the more than 70 million on file at NPRC (MPR) Certain basic information is needed to locate military service records. This information includes the veteran's complete name used while in service, service number or social security number, branch of service, and dates of service. Date and place of birth may also be helpful, especially if the service number is not known. If the request pertains to a record that may have been involved in the 1973 fire, also include place of discharge, last unit of assignment, and place of entry into the service, if known.

The NPRC mailing address is:

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

Neither the United States Marine Corps nor any other
component of the Dept. of Defense has approved,
endorsed or authorized my web sight.